C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Windows Xp is outta here...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:26 pm 
Fragger
Fragger

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:28PM EDT

Microsoft originally announced over a year ago that Windows XP would be going off the market in January 2008. XP was later given a brief stay of execution, to June 30, 2008. That deadline is fast approaching, which has led to much panicking from people who aren't quite sure what XP's "going off market" means, exactly.

People are still as confused as ever. So let's take a stab at clarifying, once again, what's going to happen by answering some frequently asked questions about XP's imminent disappearance.

Will Windows XP really no longer be on sale after June 30? Sorry for the double negative, but no. All this means is that Microsoft will stop selling the OS. Finding a computer with XP preinstalled will likely be very difficult, as well. However, you'll still be able to find copies for the foreseeable future, and likely the unforeseeable one, too. See for yourself: You can find copies of just about any Microsoft product, including ancient versions of Windows and even MS-DOS, by simply searching online. But hang on to your current copy of Windows XP. You may need it down the road if you don't want to move to Vista.

Will I be forced to upgrade to Vista soon? No. But it will get harder and harder not to, especially since new software and peripherals are likely to stop working with XP. That could take years.

Will my XP machine stop working in June? No, but Microsoft will stop releasing non-security software updates to the masses on April 14, 2009. But let's be clear: XP will continue to "work" even after this point.

Will Microsoft shut off product activation for XP after June? No, that would be crazy. While no one has said this will happen, it's conceivable that Windows could shut down product activation for XP at some point. But that would only happen after XP reaches its end-of-support term (when all support plans expire). The good news for you: That happens on April 8, 2014, which should be plenty of time to get the kinks worked out of Vista-or switch to a Mac, Linux, or anything else. Bottom line: Your copy of XP will work, totally legally, for at least six more years.

What about after 2014? Well, that's unclear. But it's possible XP will stop being installable at that point. Microsoft's official policy is that these dates have "no affect [sic] on how long you can use a product," which may imply product activation will work forever. However, two things come to mind:

1) Even the most die-hard XP enthusiast will probably be ready to upgrade at that point (as XP will be nearly 15 years old, and your PC will be dead by then, I'm sure).

2) Even if Microsoft shuts off product activation, the hacker community will certainly make dozens of tools to let you continue using XP with abandon. Fret not.

Can I install XP on a PC that has Vista already on it? Yes. You can delete any partition with any OS on it (and reformat it) during the installation of XP. If you're feeling brave, you can even run both OSes at the same time by setting up a dual-boot machine.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/25252

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:59 pm 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

If it wasn't for games, I'd use Linux exclusively. But, as a PC gamer, and not a console gamer... I have a hard time giving up an OS that brings me that media. Mac OS is decent for its security and support, but the hardware is proprietary, and I don't like not being able to put my system together. That leaves XP as my only choice till I have to get Vista for some hardware, DX11, or game that requires it.

((On a side note: Linux games are getting decent, but since there are multi-million dollar corporations behind them, they are not on par.

25 Linux Games that looks decent to me:
http://rangit.com/software/top-8-linux-games-of-2007/

Some in there I wouldn't play, namely the Guitar Hero rip off... >_> But graphically they aren't terrible. Hopefully Wine will continue to get better, because I know alot of software is starting to work through Wine that didn't before, and there seems to be support from Google and Adobe to open up Linux for some software.

Post subject: Re: Windows Xp is outta here...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:28 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

It is offical...I'm completely migrated to Vista. It's changed a LOT since it launched in November and if you throw enough hardware at it, runs exceptionally well. I'd easily say it's more stable and responsive than XP is but alot of the software you run on Vista is far from stable. I'm fighting a double bridge, the biggest problems being the fact I'm on 64 bit. Rest in peace six year old Windows XP...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:46 pm 
Teh Pope
Teh Pope

8 Ghz of ram? really?

[20:09] ShadowGuy: you should really lower you expectations of me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Yeah...I pimped my system out with just about everything imaginable. Probably why Vista runs so well. :?

Also, she rips through video encoding and editing so I've been making mad Crysis videos and uploading via xfire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:01 am 
Teh Pope
Teh Pope

ill have to check those out

[20:09] ShadowGuy: you should really lower you expectations of me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 pm 
so uh Vista might be out of here soon a well. Google Windows 7 everyone