C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:36 am 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

I had deep reserves when renting this game, which is for PSX2. But provided the fact that I didn't have to pay for it, there wasn't much else at the time that sparked my interest, and the fact that I was looking for a 2 player game for my GF and I to play it was best choice.

Now, the faults of the game were already aparent to me before I even rented. You only have 3 options for your character in the games, Dwarven Fighter, Human Archer, and Elven Mage. I thought that the lack of customization and options was a down fall, considering the PC series allows for complete customization of race/class combinations, as well as giving more races and classes to choose from. Also, the conversations in the game were long and drawn out in places which slowed a very fast paced game down. But, you could skip the dialogue with a couple button pressed, so if you wish to move on you could without have to read the text. Another flaw was that at the end of the game, killing every single monster in every area we went through, we still didn't reach max level nor had in my opinion, that much on abilities. I didn't even get to see the max potential of my flame arrows, nor did my GF get her max level of Melf's Acid Arrows(which she was looking forward to).

The graphics on the game was pretty good, I consider them good for psx2, the water was expecially nicely rendered, and the variety of creatures in game was sufficient, though again the PC series(which btw is not the same game just made by the same company and has to the same titling of Baldur's Gate) had more creatures by far. This game was built on simplicity and for the both of us, we being Dungeons and Dragons player on a Paper and Pen basis as well as playing through the very complex PC versions needed more content. But, nevertheless for someone that wants a fast paced hack-n-slash game that is more about competing for the nice loot that drops and getting the gold and such then you should enjoy it.

I rate this game: 6.5 out of 10

Pros:
Fast
Good two player qualities
Simple Interface

Cons:
Not enough content
Leveling of spells needed to be faster by end of game
game was short with ~5-7 hour play time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:18 am 
Ninja King
Ninja King

Dies ist ein ninja Posten.

"Sporks are outdated"