C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Intel's Engineering dept build fastest desktop?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 pm 
Pimp
Pimp

Some of Intel's head engineers are trying to move Intel away from the 'overclocking is bad' stance (Intel currently locks their multipliers on every chip (since the slot 1 300A), which means you need some expensive high end memory that'll let you push the FSB sky high.

Anyways... the engineering dept has peiced together a watercooled rig capable of 5 Ghz easy.

It has a 3.8Ghz EE pushed to 5.1Ghz @ 61*C (fuck!)
looks like 2GB of ballistix ram
and topping it off with a crossfire setup

PS. yeormom.... this would be a blow to AMD, since a large chunk of their sales are retail aka people who buy them for gaming/overclocking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:15 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

That'll just make me start h8ing on Intel~ it's not that I'm blindly bias but more that i r h8 overclocking...even though my video card is overclocked and runs hotter than 60C during idle operation...and that system is water cooled ewwww Although, shipping with a factory setup isn't as bad I guess but still~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:37 am 
Pimp
Pimp

but look at it this way.... 5 Ghz.... i mean... cmon... 5 Ghz.. who else can say they have a 5 Ghz system...?

i looked at ur comp specs on ur site

you should serriously try 4 WD360's in a RAID 0, then move those two seagates into a RAID 1 array for backup.

your board has 8 SATA II Ports, 4 on the Intel ICH7 and 4 on another controller. you can get RAID 5 or RAID 10 on the ICH7... its software RAID but it's better than nothing... and it'll give you the biggest performance boost without OCing or getting a crossfire pair

When my system still worked, I'd wait on the server to load a map on say.... COD2, then I'd be first to join because levels load fast as hell

of course, it'll only set you back like ... 415 bucks as the WD360 Raptors are a hair over $100 on newegg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:32 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

My bragging rights extends to my custom case, keyboard, mouse and what not so I gave up the processor speed right. I'll throw you some links at bottom so you can actually see her since most everyone else knows what I'm talking about~

I bought these hard drives for a reason...they're a hell of a lot faster than WD360. People don't realize how platter density really effects performance. Between the platter density, cache, and raid, these hard drives max out the capabilities of SATA II. They benchmark 287MB/s (Highest 293MB/s) with HD Tach. Can you say holy crap? That's performance in the level of Ultra320...Yeah, the WD360's have that lower latency but since hard drive performance really matters when your loading huge files, ie game files, these drives blow the WD360 away.

http://www.crackerfest.com/images/OrangeBeastv2.jpg
http://www.crackerfest.com/images/OrangeBeastv2_2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:31 pm 
Pimp
Pimp

hmmm i wonder if you can put SATA CD-ROMs in RAID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:18 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Possibly with a modification~ my raid controllers don't recognize my SATA dvd+-rw as a container but other fun news is motherboard will boot off a flash drive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:25 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1168

Looks like they're going to take the market back over for sure if this is truly successful...