Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:45 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:13 pm 
Pimp
Pimp

PCI-E 16x WITHOUT A DOUBT rapes AGP8x.... 2x plus bus to CPU speeds, plus the cards are just plain better.

Sadly enough AMD motherboards are stuck with AGP8x till later this year, but Intel LGA boards have PCI-E and PCI slots, and you may even find a board supporting PCI-E and AGP....

If you see SLI stay away from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:58 pm 
Quit Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:42 pm 
Pimp
Pimp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:14 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Tell you what Warson...make your decisio; are you buying to run benchmarks all day or do you actually want a more stable computer that you can expand in the future if need be without replacing the whole unit? If you just want to sit around and watch your framerate all day, then just listen to the Squirrel and buy a motherboard that will never expand one bit more than what is out currently on the market. He's knows everything because he put two 333MHz pentiums together and made an unstable 350MHz pentium. I guess I wouldn't know though because I purchased my system for performance instead of benchmarks anyway.

My suggestion is to go ahead and buy something as if you'll be living with it forever because there will never be another "update" for anything that is currently out from now on. Says who? No one important...ATi, NVIDIA, Intel......being on a chipset supporting newer technology, PCIx, DDR2, etc., you get a more stable system and something that promises to be more upgradable for a fraction of the price it would cost to change out to a newer technology later. I still say go failproof and go Dell with an extended warranty though either way.

I tap out of the conversation that started off by having nothing to do with computer innovations and ended up all about em~ peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:45 pm 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

I'm going to put in my 2 cents and add interest. PCI-X is current new technology that will be here to stay till something else rivals it or it is upgraded to next generation PCI hardware. AGP is out, as many have said there will be no new graphics card for AGP in development. Yes, Squirrel you can go and buy your x800 in AGP right now, but as for the x1000 or whatever ATI decides to call the next card, it will not be AGP it will be PCI-X. If you think that ATI or Nvidia doesn't know what they are talking about then why the hell did you just go out and by that new Nvidia graphics card?? They know the business and are decidingly moving forward. AGP is out man.

Does PCI Express really make a big difference for graphics?

Answer:
Absolutely the bandwidth is a gating factor in the performance of the GPU. PCI Express addresses the issue high-frequency, scalable data paths
--Nvidia Quote

ATI is also pushing the market forward with the xpress 200 series that will be integrated with AMD Athlon 64, AMD Athlon 64 FX, and AMD Sempron processors for high graphic quality. You're going to see a big difference in performance between AGP and PCI-X when Windows Longhorn is released because PCI-X can use 64 bit. Why would ATI go forward to make PCI-X integrated into AMD's if it wasn't here to stay. I see no new AGP cards. Only PCI-X in development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:34 am 
Quit Life

AGP cards will still be in development after the next generation of cards. AGP has been around too long, and too many people have AGP boards that might like to upgrade or replace. Nvidia and ATI both know this, and it's more money for them. You've seen the article yourself. PCi express makes no difference right NOW. In the next generation of cards, it will.

For Warson, go buy you a Dell. If you get a lemon with dell, oh well. You can't do anything about it. As for stableness, my computer has never let me down unless a fag messes with the flip switch on the back. He'll get his repayment though. I've got PLENTY to work with.

The truth is you can build it, or buy it, and be good both ways. One can be cheaper than the other, according to deals that are out. Both will perform about the same if parts are the same anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:03 am 
Pimp
Pimp

warson it all depends. You could build a kickass gaming system from scratch, but it takes alot of research.

If you really don't want to build one then buy one, and it still be just as good as one you cold build.

'nuff said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:43 pm 
Teh Pope
Teh Pope

[20:09] ShadowGuy: you should really lower you expectations of me