C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Toshiba A305 Laptop
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

Okay, so I got a new web developer job that pays rather nice and is remote, so I don't have to do any driving. Well it just so happened a week before, my old Sager's harddrive decided to die on me. Well I had already wanted to get a new laptop and was putting it off. I had already did some looking around, and was going to go with an ASUS but didn't really want it because of the low battery life. Well look has it that I just decided to go to bestbuy to see what they had on sale. I found this:

Intel® Core(TM)2 Duo Mobile 8100 2.1 Ghz - 800Mhz FSB - 3MB L2 Cache Processor
WXGA (1280x800) LCD (Not as nice of res as I usually like but looks good in clarity)
4GB PC5300 RAM
2x200GB SATA Drives (5400 RPM and a 4200 RPM)
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW (/w LabelFlash)
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3470 256MB Dedicated Up to 1023MB Total
HDMI output
Harman/Kardon speakers (these are nicer than I thought, they have nice bass for laptop speakers)
4 USB ports (hate laptops with only 2)

Price: $1099 (sale from $1299)
I didn't want to spend a lot at the moment on anything because of the living transition, so the price for the stats was very appealing. Well I've had it for about a week and a half. It runs very smooth and has around 3 hours battery life when I was watching a dvd on it. Farcry runs at 1280x800(max for the monitor) with ultra high settings at 30-40fps. Regular High settings at 1280x800 was around 50fps. I believe the video card is clocked at 500mhz based on what I've read but I haven't personally checked it. It is only 5.5 - 6.0 lbs based on specs, but feels a bit lighter to me. Very well made, has a scratch resistant coating that is easy to clean. Something new from Toshiba called Fusion Finish.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 for a nice laptop with a good price tag.

Post subject: Re: Toshiba A305 Laptop
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Toshiba makes nice laptops. They tend to adopt new chips faster than other brands but Toshiba can be a bit pricey. I almost bought one five years ago but couldn't get the graphics card I wanted without waiting forever so I went desktop.

Post subject: Re: Toshiba A305 Laptop
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 pm 

Well so far this video card seems pretty nice. ATI Catalyst Center is saying it is utilizing 2GB of memory total, not sure if that is true or not because the specs said it would only use 1GB total. I'm enjoying it more so than my Sager just because it is much lighter and still can play pretty much any game I want. Granted I'm sure Crysis will still be on low to medium settings but I know it can handle it much better than my desktop or the Sager.