C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GeForce 9800 GX2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:29 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Will run Crysis at 50FPS in high quality mode vs the NV8800 26FPS. Idle, the board consumes over 200W while pushing 320W at max load.

NV also launched their 790i chipset which allows a 3-way SLI configuration...
You underachievers will be happy to know teh 790i has mad overclocking abilities...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:56 pm 
Pimp
Pimp

kekekee...

all the review sites are playing the 9800 GX2 as overhyped and underperforming, aka not meeting expectations. I'd be happy with a 8800GT or 2 of them in SLI. also, nvidia chipsets=nono for OCing as they run hotter than the sun.

Yeormom wrote:
you make children in china cry.

DFI Lan Party Jr P45 T2RS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.49Ghz (466x7.5)
2x1GB HyperX DDR2-1066 + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066
2xWD1600 160GB in RAID0
2xVisiontek Radeon HD4850 512MB in CrossfireX voltmodded @ 750/2000
Coolmax 950W
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64-bit
Samsung SATA DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe
Altec Lansing 121i 2.1 Speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:35 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

If the video card consumes more than one slot, it's automatically rejected from my book as of right now.

The new NV chipset has been in the works for several years and is just now making it to the table, much like Intel rolled out with the Core line. It's the first decent chipset they've ever put out, both architecturally and for slack OCers~ you are readup on teh new onez?

I only buy the matching chipset/processor combos that are second rev. Since AMD has yet to really fab their own, no chance in that ever happening anyway. I wait for Intel to release a board and for Asus to find the flaws and release it under their name. I tried an NV/AMD combo in 2006 on my HTPC and hate it...AM2 are teh suxors.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 am 
Pimp
Pimp

Yeormom wrote:
If the video card consumes more than one slot, it's automatically rejected from my book as of right now.

The new NV chipset has been in the works for several years and is just now making it to the table, much like Intel rolled out with the Core line. It's the first decent chipset they've ever put out, both architecturally and for slack OCers~ you are readup on teh new onez?

I only buy the matching chipset/processor combos that are second rev. Since AMD has yet to really fab their own, no chance in that ever happening anyway. I wait for Intel to release a board and for Asus to find the flaws and release it under their name. I tried an NV/AMD combo in 2006 on my HTPC and hate it...AM2 are teh suxors.

Amen, I only buy single slot cards. The downside is they usually have noisy ass fans, but dropping $35-50 on a nice Zalman cooler will quiet it right up.

For HTPC I'd choose either the 65W C2D or the 35W X2's cause you still get the horsepower for HD decoding and whatnot and they don't procude that much heat.

I've always been a little wary of Nvidia platforms, the last one I used is Nforce 2, but all the reading I've done points out that they run hot and have strange quirks. I wont lie the 790i does look promising. There's a review on a XTX 790i board for $99 on overclockers.com and it's a VERY good board for the money (SLI, RAID, Plenty of OCing/memory timing options).

Yeormom wrote:
you make children in china cry.

DFI Lan Party Jr P45 T2RS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.49Ghz (466x7.5)
2x1GB HyperX DDR2-1066 + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066
2xWD1600 160GB in RAID0
2xVisiontek Radeon HD4850 512MB in CrossfireX voltmodded @ 750/2000
Coolmax 950W
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64-bit
Samsung SATA DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe
Altec Lansing 121i 2.1 Speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:22 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

My EE AMD blows at anything horsepower related. I do massive encoding and conversions on it which takes ages. I can do my conversions faster on my Pentium D...should have gone Core at the time but they didn't have any micro/mini boards. I needed the rest of teh space for my massive hard drive array.

NV RAID blows too FYI~ Intel's last couple of onboard RAID solutions have been nothing short of impressive, minus battery writes.

Profile E-mail