C.R.A.C.K.E.R. Fest Gaming Network Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Perspective on Computer Science at MGC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:55 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

This really only applies to those of you whom have gone through any part of the computer science department with ole Efosa Idemudia but I thought I'd share it all with the world anyway...

This past weekend, I went up to Southern Polytechnic University (SPSU) in Atlanta and talked to several professors and what not there about related programs they offer. I briefly described what I had experienced under the CSCI level classes I have taken at MGC and asked if I would be on track to transfer those and continue through their program. Based on the type of applets and logic we are currently being tested on, I was instructed by the SPSU professors that I would be best off retaking every single major related class I had taken over again if the basis I told them was true, which it sadly is. An advisor in the same room stated maybe the difference is between the fact every professor in the division at SPSU has a PhD and MGC has a single guy with a A.S. or B.S. whichever it was...unfournately we all know the real reason.

I just thought it would be fun to let you know that a majorly accreditied school said everyone taking our program is screwed if persuing a higher degree. I'm just glad I'm changing majors...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:58 am 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

Yeah, I'm going to have to kick myself into high gear with Java and programming in general if I stay on Computer Science track instead of moving over to IT oriented degree. I think that I could handle the higher degree courses provided that I'm at least familiar with concepts that were sadly not taught in MGC CS classes. My suggestion for everyone that is reading this that is going to do Computer Science at higher degree school to read the following Java books at this link:

http://64.78.49.204/

Thinking in Java 3rd Edition
Thinking in Patterns

I suggest both of those if not even the C++ books. This guy knows what he is talking about and explains thing very well and in depth. If you read these books and at least program a bit before you transfer you should be able to breeze through the first CS courses that you will have to retake(provided that you choose to do so) or maybe even do the advanced courses depending on how you feel about your level of knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:35 pm 

I've learned a hell of a lot more in VSU than in MGC. VSU is actually a pretty decent school for CS imo. I'm proficient in languages (Java,C++, C#, etc) more so than before, but even further than that I program structurally much better. Software Engineering classes have been awesome as well as all the algorithm and data structure classes. One more semester and I've got a my Bachelor's then maybe I'll get a Master's in Software Engineering. I prefer the design aspect of software systems, and would love the pay of a management position of software engineering. We'll see what comes about.