It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Online Gaming
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Online gaming are reported 90% PC yo~

Quote:
Recent reports have all stated that more Americans are playing video games than ever before, but exactly how many people are picking up a controller in America? A new "Online Gaming 2008" report from the NPD Group finds that 72 percent of the US plays video games, a dramatic increase from the 63 percent who said they played in the previous year. The amount of people playing games online, however, is much lower than expected, with 42 percent of people saying they play games online, up only two percent from last year.
Related Stories

* Games with strong online components outsell the competition
* Report: Gamers largely clueless about next-gen console media capabilities
* Nintendo remains dominant in this month's NPD numbers
* September NPD numbers: Microsoft at number one on the strength of Halo 3

Unsurprisingly, the PC plays a large part in online gaming. 90 percent of those who said they play online play through their PCs, versus only 19 percent playing on a game console or portable and three percent using a cell phone. Not only do people play online games on their PCs, they are becoming increasingly comfortable purchasing games online as well. Steam has just received Ubisoft's blessing to sell its games online, including the yet-to-be-released PC version of Assassin's Creed, and the platform was instrumental in building buzz for the hit rhythm game Audiosurf.

This is of course not even counting the runaway success of online games like World of WarCraft, a game that has almost become its own industry. The money spent on digital downloads and online subscription-based gaming is often absent from market research on the strength of the PC gaming industry, something that NPD is trying to correct; the group is now tracking online subscription sales for a quarterly report.

"We wouldn't be initiating coverage of online subscriptions if we didn't believe it was a big and growing market," Martin Zagorsek, vice president of games and software at NPD, told Video Business. The report will include information on any business with a subscription-based revenue source, which should include game arcade services like GameTap.

Still, NPD doesn't have any illusions about these numbers. "Despite the buzz in the industry regarding online gaming, it is still relatively small compared to offline gaming," said Anita Frazier, an industry analyst for the NPD Group. "There is still a large, untapped market for gaming in general and online gaming in particular."

Younger gamers are growing up to be more comfortable gaming online. Gamers aged 2 to 12 hold over 25 percent of the online gaming market, while gamers aged 18 to 24 have only 10 percent. Among consoles, Xbox Live is proving to be a powerful force for Microsoft; the Xbox 360 is the most popular console for online play. NPD does point out that households with multiple consoles are rare, with only three percent claiming to own two of the three "next-gen" systems, and only two percent claiming to own an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and a Nintendo Wii.

While the "PC gaming is dying!" cry is still often heard around the Internet, it seems that much of the computer gaming market is merely heading online, as evidenced by certain aspects of this report and NPD's new dedication to tracking online subscriptions. Overall, however, the gaming market is showing strong growth, but online gaming isn't nearly as large as the conversations about it would have you believe. Young gamers may bring the numbers up as they grow into an increasingly connected world, demanding the same social aspects from their games, but with online gaming there is currently more flash than fire.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... ation.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 pm 
Rev. of Gnomeforest Baptist

Yeah that's what I'm seeing, most of the single player gaming is going console though. Anyone played the new space strategy game Sins of the Solar Empire? It looked quite interesting in the videos and pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:05 pm 
Fragger
Fragger

this intrigues me too being an enthusiast in both gaming worlds, I've seen numbers grow increasingly high on xbox live which is the biggest online console platform, but PC still dominates. That's very awesome, but sadly out of that 90 percent PC gaming population, 80 percent's probably WOW players.... and ONLY wow players..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:25 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

WoW barely makes 1% actually. Divide 90% of Americans by the number of unique accounts Blizzard claims (not boxxed) to have and it's 0.00943. If you add in the rest of the world, WoW isn't even one hundredth of a percent.

If you we're to actually also question those who play WoW about other games they play, I'd guess that at least 30% if not up to 70% play other games as well too, which would drop the WoW ratio even more.

Kinda pisses me off that ignorant columnist say WoW created a genre that had been around for 6 years before them. Blizzard would have never gotten the idea on their own because look at how many games they learned from...their only secret to success was making the game run on DirectX6/7 so almost anyone could run it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:15 pm 
Fragger
Fragger

everyone but a select few at my school is a damn WOW lover while a few of my friends and I Hamachi a Generals and RON game everynight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:12 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

So, you should be quite skilled now yes? Duel?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm 
Fragger
Fragger

lawl...which game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 pm 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

I haven't played CNC since I played last with ShadowGuy and he hasn't gamed in 1-2 years? I forget when it was. Last time I played RoN was with you Radar so 3-4 years? You two hold the answerz yo

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 am 

God are we all getting slack? We need to form a tournament group and make moneyz imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Unlike you kids, I don't think I ever got slackzorz. My life has always been stable so I've not had to come and go from my true love. I try to play a game until I think I've conquered it~ then it gets retired for a year or three.

When I was playing CoD4, it was hard to find anyone worth a damn in pub games...had to go to private servers and all they do is harass you about joining their cult/clan.

I keep dabbling with MMO's a little bit too but I was last working on my own again that I had three years ago, based on the EQ engine. Learning and working with C++ is too tiring so I gave that up...again...

Currently playing a WC3 mod called Civilization Wars, which you would absolutely love Radar. It's pretty hardcore and is impossible to dominate unless you have a pro team of 3 so it might be a bit more before I get bored of it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 am 
Fragger
Fragger

how does WC3 play? Mass resource handling or is it more generals style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:00 am 
Kikkoman
Kikkoman

Ra1d3r wrote:
how does WC3 play? Mass resource handling or is it more generals style

Answered for you on teh WC thread.

http://forums.crackerfest.com/viewtopic.php?p=7041#7041

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:11 am 
Teh Pope
Teh Pope

Yeormom wrote:
I haven't played CNC since I played last with ShadowGuy and he hasn't gamed in 1-2 years? I forget when it was. Last time I played RoN was with you Radar so 3-4 years? You two hold the answerz yo

i played COD4 alot when it came out, but i havent hardcored it up in awhile true

[20:09] ShadowGuy: you should really lower you expectations of me

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:33 pm 
Fragger
Fragger

what about CNC and RON?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:51 pm 
Teh Pope
Teh Pope

havent played RON since god knows when, and CNC back when we played it for shits and giggles a few months ago last summer

[20:09] ShadowGuy: you should really lower you expectations of me

Profile E-mail